Higher Education

Dates and Deadlines

Higher Education Application submission

  • Fall 2017 and returning students- May 15th *Extended 2017 deadline June 1st*
  • Winter/Spring 2018- September 1st
    All items specific to returning or new student are to be submitted as a whole with a complete application.
  • Summer Term- January 1st

Award letters expected to be sent Mid-July.

Students must submit a new application each academic year

Mission objectives

To enhance the Spokane Tribes ability to protect and maintain culture, values, and resources for the present generation and generations yet unborn by encouraging Spokane Tribal Members to further their education.

To provide financial assistance and student services to eligible Spokane Tribal Members who wish to further their education by attending institutions of higher learning or vocational training and to acknowledge college level students based on academic achievement.

Who Can Apply?

Any enrolled member of the Spokane Tribe of Indians

How Are Recipients Chosen?

Recipients are selected and notified based on

  • Completion of application available below under "printable documents", in person of the Alfred E. McCoy Administration building located in Wellpinit, WA upstairs in the Education office, or request an application to be sent to you
  • All requested documents submitted at time of application submission
    • Requested documents include renewal of FAFSA each year, scholarships, grades, transcripts, etc.

      Incomplete applications will not be accepted.

Please see below what you need to do to meet the requirements for a "complete" application.

Eligibility requirements overview

  • Be an enrolled member of the Spokane Tribe
  • Complete and return Higher Education Program application by deadline dates
  • Submit verification of High School Diploma or GED, as applicable
  • Be enrolled in a two or four year accredited college and be eligible for Title IV grants (Federally Funded Financial Aid), state funding, and institutional aid.
  • Apply for FAFSA (Federal Student Aid) annually. FAFSA information found at
  • Be enrolled as a full time student to be eligible for financial assistance. Part time and Graduate students will be considered for tuition and books only in accordance with the Needs Analysis and will not exceed Education Department Caps.
  • Accept all grants and scholarships offered

Student responsibilities

  • Provide college transcripts with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 on a 4.0 grading scale. Full time students must earn a minimum of 12 credits per term with at least a 2.0 GPA. Part time and Graduate students must maintain at least a 2.0 GPA
  • Maintain satisfactory eligibility for financial aid
    Failure to maintain a grade point average of 2.0 may result in the student being placed on probation and or suspension
  • Full time employees (32 hours per week or greater) are eligible or financial assistance of tuition and books only. However, they must:
    • Exhaust all departmental resources (must be work related)
    • Submit all requested documentation
    • Meet the dates and deadlines of the program
  • Part time employees (31 hours per week or less):
    • Must submit documentation from Human Resources verifying employment status
    • Request and submit letter from direct supervisor stating employment status
    • Meet dates and deadlines of the program

Entering Freshman requirements

  • Complete application and return by deadline (see in printable documents)
  • Copy of Student Aid Report SAR for 2017-2018 (
  • Copy of Certificate of Indian Blood (CIB), Enrollment Card, Official verification
  • High school diploma or GED, whichever is applicable
  • Copy of class registration/schedule
  • Documentation of application to at minimum two outside scholarships
    These items must be date and/or time stamped
  • Acknowledgement form for policies and procedures (see in printable documents)
  • Copy of college acceptance letter
  • Personal letter outlining educational goals
  • Copy of proof of Freshman Orientation (as applicable)

Returning students

You are considered returning if you have ever received assistance before from the Spokane Tribe regardless of how much time has passed.

  • Complete application and return by deadline (see in printable documents)
  • Copy of Student Aid Report SAR for 2017-2018 (
  • Copy of class registration/schedule (must be submitted at the start of each
  • qtr/semester/term)
  • Documentation of application to at minimum two outside scholarships
    These items must be date stamped and/or time stamped
  • Copy of college acceptance letter (for transferring students)
  • Last qtr/semester/term grades that show the following:
    Credits attempted
    Credits earned
    That qtr/semester/term GPA
     Unofficial transcripts work best at the start of each year

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a degree plan and where can I get one?
A degree plan is a list of classes a student is required to take in order to complete their chosen degree. A degree plan can be found online, in the college catalog, or obtained from the student advisor.

What is a Needs Analysis Form?
This form lists your cost to attend college per academic year, it also lists your financial aid so that we are able to determine your unmet need. The Spokane Tribe Education Program covers the costs that are not covered by Financial Aid and scholarships within the allowable CAPS.

How do I know when the term is going to start?
Typically classes begin in late August for Fall and January for Winter/Spring terms each year. However the deadlines to register for credited classes are set by the college.

Why do I need a student advisor?
All students should be assigned a student advisor to help guide you and answer any questions you may have while on campus. Advisors also assist you with choosing classes and maintaining a schedule so that you are on target for graduation in a timely manner.

What if I need help with problems at the school?
If you have any questions or concerns with your college that you are unable to handle, you can call your academic advisor to answer questions, or request assistance in getting the problem resolved.

Why do I need to fill out a FAFSA?
FAFSA is federal aid that assists all eligible applicants with funding for college. It helps to reduce the amount of money that the tribe pays out toward your tuition/books, allowing for our department to assist as many Spokane Tribal Members as we can.

Adult Vocational Training (AVT)

Effective July 10th, 2017, AVT applications are currently NOT being accepted for the remainder of FY 2017 (up to October 1st, 2017).

Vocational - Certificate overview

Be an enrolled member of the Spokane Tribe
Provide proof of enrollment in a long/short term program

Vocational & Certificate programs will only be funded for and in accordance to CAPS:

a. One long term (11 to 24 months)- AAS or Certificate
b. One short term (10 months or less)- License or Certificate

AVT requirements

  • Submit all documents including complete application no later than 30 days prior to expected start date
  • Copy of Certificate of Indian Blood (CIB), Enrollment Card, Official Verification
  • Program information and proof of enrollment in program
  • Invoice on official business letterhead that includes the following:
    Date of class/attendance; certificate/license to be received upon completion of the program; break down of costs for tuition/books/supplies, etc
  • If student withdraws from program, student must notify the Program Manager and reimburse funds disbursed on their behalf
  • If student does not receive certificate or license at the end of the program the student must reimburse funds disbursed on their behalf


Printable documents                       


Release of Information (ROI)

This form differs from ROI enclosed in Higher Education/AVT application. This ROI allows us to release information about your higher education application to individuals listed such as a parent or a family member. Regardless of students age, we cannot release information to the parent without this consensual form signed by both the parent and listed individuals. Please find the ROI document  here                           

Scholarship Links

College Links


Micaela Carroll                                                  
Education Program Manager                               
Front Desk: 509.458.8000                                    
Office:        509.458.8005                                                       

Office hours 7:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m. Monday thru Friday        

Facebook page

Please do not submit personal information to the Facebook page. This is merely meant for dates and deadlines and scholarship information not to inquire about application, status, etc.