VACANCY ANN.#: STOI-23-010
TITLE: SPOKANE TRIBAL PROSECUTOR
DEPARTMENT: OFFICE OF THE SPOKANE TRIBAL ATTORNEY
SUPERVISOR: SPOKANE TRIBAL COUNCIL
LOCATION: WELLPINIT, WA
STATUS: CONTRACT, FT, EXEMPT
RATE OF PAY: $42.88 / PER HOUR
OPENING DATE: FEBRUARY 6, 2023
CLOSING DATE: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
INTRODUCTION: The Tribal Prosecutor represents the Spokane Tribe of Indians in criminal prosecutions, youth in need of care (dependency) actions, exclusion proceedings, truancy filing and certain civil code violations.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The Tribal Prosecutor represents the Spokane Tribe of Indians in Tribal Court in criminal prosecutions, youth in need of care (dependency) actions, exclusion proceedings, truancy filings, and certain civil code violations.
- The Tribal Prosecutor is responsible for filing decisions for all criminal violations, both adult and juvenile, and youth in need of care petitions in the Tribal Court.
- The Tribal Prosecutor also advises certain Tribal Departments, including Law Enforcement and the Department of Human Services.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Knowledge of Criminal Law, Indian Child Welfare, Youth in Need of Care / Dependency law, Federal Indian Law, Tribal Law.
- Strong negotiation, interpersonal communication skills, and interdepartmental communication skills.
- An ability to thrive in an interdisciplinary and cross-cultural work environment.
- Willingness to engage in creative problem-solving.
- Have a commitment to restorative justice.
- Willingness to expand skillset by attending trainings if necessary.
SPECIAL CERTIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
- Candidate must be licensed to practice law in Washington State or be licensed to practice law in another state and become licensed to practice law in Washington State within six months of hiring.
MINIMUM EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Candidate must have graduated from an accredited law school with a juris doctorate.
- Active Member in good standing of a state bar association with no pending or unresolved disciplinary matters.
- Minimum of (3) three years’ experience preferred, ideally in relevant practice areas.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a good driving record for insurance purposes.
Section 101.630 – This position will have regular contact with and/or control over children as part of their job duties.
Must Apply On-line: https://spokanetribe.bamboohr.com/careers/167?source=aWQ9MjA%3D
Contact Sabrina McCoy or Empero Corral
509-458-6583 or 458-6527 Fax: 509-458-6556
Applications must be received in the Human Resource Department
no later than 4:30 p.m. on the closing date.
The Spokane Tribe reserves the right to hire according to its Indian Preference Policy
All Applicants are subject to a Pre-Employment Drug Test & Criminal Background Check
All Positions with the Spokane Tribe of Indians are subject to a 90-day orientation period