Pandemic Emergency Assistance Available

$2,000 Pandemic Emergency Assistance Available for qualifying households

 On March 11, 2021, the President signed the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 into law.  Now Public Law 117-2, it establishes the Pandemic Emergency Assistance Fund (PEAF) in section 403(c) of the Social Security Act (the Act).The PEAF provides funding to states (which includes the District of Columbia), tribes administering a TANF  program, and five U.S. territories[1] to assist needy families impacted by the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic

The PEAF is an opportunity for households meeting eligibly requirements to receive a lump sum payment in the amount of $2,000. This funding represents an opportunity to help low income families struggling with the effects of the pandemic

Application can be downloaded from the Spokane Tribe’s Website listed on the TANF page and can be downloaded here also.


To be eligible for the Pandemic Emergency Assistance Fund non-reoccurring short-term benefits, a household must meet all of the following criteria:

  • Must have at least one (1) member of a Federally Recognized Tribe;
  • Must be a needy family with children* (non-biological require proof of guardianship); Household income must fall below the 250% Poverty Level;
  • Family does not have to be a current TANF client;
  • Pregnant women may be eligible with proof of pregnancy;
  • Must reside within the 477 Service Area (see below).

*Biological parents who do not live together but share custody of a child may both receive assistance as long as verification of custody order/parenting plan is provided.

Service Area

The Pandemic Emergency Assistance Funds (PEAF) service area and population is defined as American Indian/Alaska Native families living on the STOI reservation and Stevens, Lincoln, Adams, Whitman, Spokane and Pend Oreille Counties, excluding the Kalispel Reservation and Kalispel tribal members in the service area, and Colville Tribal members residing in Stevens and Lincoln County (unless they reside on the Spokane Indian Reservation).


For Appointments questions or to request an application:

If you reside in Stevens or Pend Oreille County call the Wellpinit 477 office at 509-458-8000.

If you reside in Adam, Lincoln, Spokane or Whitman County call the Spokane 477 office at 509-533-1360.