VACANCY ANN #: STOI-23-111
JOB TITLE: ASSISTANT LANGUAGE TRAINEE
LOCATION: WELLPINIT, WA
DEPARTMENT: LANGUAGE / CULTURE DEPARTMENT
SUPERVISOR: LANGUAGE PROGRAM MANAGER
RATE OF PAY: HR 3, Min. $18.34, Mid $22.93, Max $27.52 / Per Hour
STATUS: REGULAR, FULL-TIME, NON EXEMPT
OPENING DATE: NOVEMBER 16, 2023
CLOSING DATE: NOVEMBER 30, 2023
New position to learn the Spokane Language/Culture, training with the Elder Language Specialist and other pertinent Elders and staff
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Must train to learn the language and culture of the Spokane Tribe to become a language teacher
- Train and work directly with the Elder Language Specialist
- Will train to teach students from Pre-K to adults and substitute as needed
- Assist in curriculum development that addresses and meets the Mission, Vision Purpose, and goals of the Language/Culture Program
- Adopt the Tribal values and teach with the values infused in the lessons and curriculum
- Be able to model the Tribal values in every aspect of your job duties
- Participate in scheduled collaborative team meetings
- Train to teach the Spokane Language in oral and written form
- Train to teach using several language teaching methods,
- Train to teach the language through stories, songs, and games
- Train to teach children in outdoor settings, implement cultural field trips
- Train to teach language and culture
- Assist in indigenous culturally based curriculum development
- Must be willing to continue education/training in culturally relevant classroom management, culturally relevant teaching methods, and effective teaching strategies for teaching Native American Students,
- Assist in developing and utilizing appropriate curriculum plans, which reflect the language and culture of the Spokane Tribe, and promote the social, emotional, physical, and cognitive development of not only Native American Children but all children.
- Use culturally appropriate relevant classroom management skills
- Attend meetings, training, and on-the-job development activities.
- Other duties/training as requested or assigned.
- After completion of training the Trainee will be required to teach in areas as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills, will work respectfully with Elders and other culturally knowledgeable individuals
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in a dynamic, deadline-driven environment.
- Good organization skills and time management skills; ability to be flexible and have problem-solving skills.
- Strong proofreading skills to produce error-free documents.
- Ability to communicate through verbal and written means with individuals, and small groups,
MINIMUM EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Must have a valid WA State Driver’s License, a good driving record
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Valid Drivers License and a good driving record
- Must complete a course in Issues in Child Abuse and Neglect
- Must be a positive role model for students and the community
- Must commit to study to become fluent in the Salish language
- Will be required to apply for and receive a Tribal and First People’s Language, Culture and Oral Traditions (state) Certification
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills, will work respectfully with Staff, Elders, and other culturally knowledgeable people and students
- Must be able to pass required federal and tribal background checks, including Fingerprints on file
- Will be required to obtain CPR Training
*101.630 – This position will have regular contact with and/or control over children as part of their job duties.
MUST APPLY ONLINE: https://spokanetribe.bamboohr.com/careers/262?source=aWQ9MjA%3D
Contact: Sabrina McCoy or Empero Corral
Ph. # (509) 458 –6583, (509) 458-6527, Fax (509) 458-6556
Applications Must Be Received In the Human Resources Department
No Later Than 4:30 p.m. On The Closing Date
The Spokane Tribe Reserves The Right To Hire According To Its Indian Preference Policy
Applicants Are Subject To A Pre-Employment Drug Test
Safety Sensitive Positions Will Also Test For Marijuana
Positions With The Spokane Tribe Are Subject To A 90-Day Orientation Period