VACANCY ANN. #: STOI-23-114
TITLE: ACCOUNTING CLERK
SUPERVISOR: ACCOUNTING DIRECTOR
STATUS: REGULAR, FULL-TIME, NON-EXEMPT
LOCATION: WELLPINIT, WA
SALARY / GRADE: HR3 – Min $18.34, Mid $22.93, Max $27.52 / Per Hour
OPENING DATE: NOVEMBER 15, 2023
CLOSING DATE: NOVEMBER 29, 2023
Provide professional customer service at Accounting front desk to employees, Tribal members & public, while maintaining confidentiality. Issue purchase orders & voucher requests to Tribal programs for purchasing. Receive paper & electronic mail, and distribute bills to related programs for approval. Process cash receipts and credit card payments to Tribe. Process emergency invoices to Accounts Payable system for payment. Disburse payroll & accounts payable checks. Assist with other accounting processes including marking invoices paid & scanning to filing system.
Purchase Order / Accounting Front Desk:
- Provide professional customer service at Accounting front desk.
- Issue purchase orders and voucher requests to Tribal programs.
- Maintain a purchase order / voucher request log.
- Obtain mail from Accounting box daily. Open mail & date stamp front of each piece.
- Print emailed invoices. Along with regular mail invoices, determine applicable program from PO and file in that program’s folder for payment approval.
- Provide bill folders to managers & approvers for paying bills in the Accounting lobby.
- Advise managers when their folder has many bills needing approval, or past due bills.
- Remote offices may need rush PO’s or invoices scanned for email to approving managers.
- Receive incoming mailed checks from the Tribal front lobby desk. Sign for the checks and issue receipts. Distribute receipt copies.
- Process cash receipts to public while they are at the counter. Obtain information to apply payment to correct individual & GL account, and provide them a receipt.
- Process debit & credit card payments from public as cash receipts.
- Maintain log of all court-related receipts and email weekly to court administrator.
- Help individuals who come in to pick up checks for accounts payable & payroll, ensure given to the correct person or authorized substitute, have them sign the check register.
- Review any checks not picked up weekly to determine if needs mailed.
- Keep checks locked in the accounting safe and close safe room door.
- Enter invoices for emergencies and HHS medical into AP system for payment.
- Mark invoices “Paid” including check number & date.
- File source documents by vendor in scanning system or other files as needed.
- Review vendor monthly statements for any past due bills or late fees; determine program responsible, request invoice copy if needed, and rush request for approval and payment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED FOR POSITION:
- Good customer service skills are critical, whether in person, phone or email.
- A positive work attitude and desire to solve problems in a helpful manner.
- Honesty is crucial, must be able to maintain strict confidentiality of information.
- A good work ethic and dependability are a must.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to perform mathematical computations.
- Recent computer experience required, including Microsoft Excel and Outlook.
- Experience with office equipment: calculator, copier, fax machine, office phone systems.
- Familiarity with basic office environment protocols and expectations.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work well with others and be customer service oriented.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Recent demonstrated Customer Service experience of 1 year, in person, phone and email.
- Recent demonstrated filing experience of 1 year.
- Recent demonstrated experience of 1 year with Microsoft Excel & Outlook.
- Higher education preferred, college courses or AA degree in accounting or business.
- Front desk or similar customer service preferred.
- Basic understanding of accounting concepts preferred.
- Experience in accounting or bookkeeping preferred, including accounts payable.
- Accounting software experience preferred, especially Abila MIP
Contact: Sabrina McCoy or Empero Corral
P.O. Box 206, Wellpinit, WA 99040
(509) 458-6583 or (509) 458-6527, or Fax (509) 458-6556
All Applications Must Be Received in the HR Department No Later Than 4:30 p.m. on the Closing Date
The Spokane Tribe of Indians Reserves The Right To Hire According To Its Indian Preference Policy
All Applicants Are Subject To A Pre-Employment Drug Test
All Positions With The Spokane Tribe Are Subject To A-90 Day Orientation