Menu

Spokane Indian Reservation

Ancestral Territory

In the early existence of the Spokane Tribe, over three million acres of land were lived upon, protected and respected by the Spokane Indians. The Spokane Indians fished the Spokane River and used the grand Spokane Falls as a gathering place of family and friends. The Spokanes lived along the river in three bands known as the Upper, Middle and Lower Spokane Indians. Depending upon the season of the year, traditional camp sites were lived in.

Creation of the Reservation

In January of 1881, President Rutherford B. Hayes, by executive order, formally declared the Spokane Indian Reservation the new and smaller home of the Spokane Indians. The tree bands of Indians were split up and some found new homes which are now known as the Coeur d'Alene Indian Reservation, the Flathead Indian Reservation, and the Colville Indian Reservation.

Current Reservation

Today, the Spokane Indian Reservation is approximately 159,000 acres in size. Tribal membership as of April 2011 is 2708, strong and growing.

As in the past, national resources are protected by the Spokane Indians.

Today, the Spokane Indian Reservation has:
  • 108,874 acres of forest land
  • 8,552 acres of agricultural land
  • 10,328 acres of lakes
  • 25 maintained camp sites

Ancestral territory (current reservation in white)

Current reservation (detail)