CONFLICT PUBLIC DEFENDER
|Vacancy Ann. #||INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR|
|Title||CONFLICT PUBLIC DEFENDER|
|Supervisor||OFFICE OF THE SPOKANE TRIBAL ATTORNEY|
|Department||OFFICE OF THE SPOKANE TRIBAL ATTORNEY|
|Rate of Pay||DOE/DOQ|
|Opening Date||JUNE 28, 2017|
|Closing Date||OPEN CONTINUOUS|
This is an Independent Contractor position seeking services of a qualified Attorney. This is not a Contract Employee position which means, among other items, employee benefits through the Spokane Tribe are not included and the incumbent will not have rights as an employee of the Spokane Tribe.
The Conflict Public Defender represents defendants in criminal prosecutions in the Spokane Tribal Court. Other duties as assigned, which may include exclusion and truancy proceedings.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Represent defendants in criminal proceedings before the Spokane Tribal Court and Court of Appeals.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED FOR POSITION:
- Knowledge of Criminal Law, Federal Indian Law, Tribal Law.
- An ability to thrive in an interdisciplinary and cross-cultural work environment.
- Be willing to engage in creative problem-solving.
- Have strong negotiation and interpersonal communication skills.
- Have a commitment to restorative justice.
SPECIAL CERTIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
Candidate must be licensed to practice law in Washington State, or be licensed to practice law in another state and become licensed to practice law in Washington State within 6 months of hiring.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Candidate must have graduated from an accredited law school.
Minimum of three years litigation experience in relevant practice areas.
- Must have ability to read, analyze, and interpret complex documents, including legal arguments, police investigations, and child welfare reports.
- Must have ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints.
- Must communicate in a manner sensitive to a variety of cultures, traditions, and ethnicities.
- Must maintain confidentiality.
ADDITIONAL APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS:
Application, resume, writing sample, and three letters of professional reference must be submitted to the Human Resources Department no later than the closing date and time.
- Human Resources will be gathering the documents on behalf of the Office of the Spokane Tribal Attorney. Questions regarding the call for this Independent Contractor should be routed through the Office of Spokane Tribal Attorney.
Applications are available in the Human Resources Department
OR can be downloaded from the Spokane Tribe’s website: www.spokanetribe.com
Contact: Jessica Flett or Amanda Isbell
Phone: (509) 458-6521
All applications must be submitted to the Human Resources Department no later than 4:30 p.m. on the closing date
The Spokane Tribe reserves the right to hire in accordance with Indian Preference