TRIBAL PROSECUTING ATTORNEY
|Vacancy Ann. #||STOI-17-030|
|Title||TRIBAL PROSECUTING ATTORNEY|
|Supervisor||OFFIC OF THE SPOKANE TRIBAL ATTORNEY|
|Status||CONTRACT POSITION/FULL TIME EXEMPT|
|Rate of Pay||DOE/DOQ|
|Opening Date||APRIL 10, 2017|
|Closing Date||APRIL 28, 2017 **EXTENDED**|
The Tribal Prosecutor represents the Spokane Tribe of Indians in Spokane Tribal Court in criminal prosecutions, dependency actions, exclusion proceedings, truancy filing, and certain civil code violations.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The Tribal Prosecutor represents the Spokane Tribe of Indians in Tribal Court in criminal prosecutions, dependency actions, exclusion proceedings, truancy filings, and certain civil code violations. The Tribal Prosecutor shall be responsible for all filing decisions regarding all criminal violations and dependency actions.
- The Tribal Prosecutor may also advise certain Tribal Departments, including Law Enforcement and the Department of Human Services.
- The Tribal Prosecutor reports to and is supervised by the Tribe’s General Counsel. The Prosecutor also drafts ordinances and may provide advice on related legal policy issues.
- The Tribal Prosecutor’s office receives support from a full-time legal assistant.
- Minimum of three years litigation experience, preferably in relevant practice areas. Candidate must be licensed to practice law in Washington State, or be licensed to practice law in another state and become licensed to practice law in Washington State within 6 months of hiring.
- Candidate must have strong negotiation and interpersonal communication skills, litigation experience, and an ability to thrive in an interdisciplinary and cross-cultural work environment; be willing to engage in creative problem-solving; have a commitment to restorative justice, and knowledge of federal Indian law.
- Strong preference for attorney with the following attributes: legal experience in criminal law; legal experience in Indian law; legal experience in Indian child welfare / ICWA law; litigation experience.
Spokane Tribal hiring preference will be in effect during the selection of candidates.
Applications are available in the Human Resources Department
P.O. Box 206 Wellpinit, WA 99040
Or, Applications can be downloaded from our website: www.spokanetribe.com
Contact: Sabrina McCoy or Geraldine Abrahamson
Ph. #: (509) 458-6583 or (509) 458-6527, Fax # (509) 458-6556
E-mail: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications must be submitted to the
Human Resources Department No later than 4:30 pm on the closing date
The Spokane Tribe reserves the right to hire according to its Indian Preference Policy
All applicants are subject to a pre-employment drug test
All applicants are subject to a 90-day orientation period
Application, resume, writing sample, and three letters of professional reference must be submitted to the Human Resources Department no later than the closing date. The Spokane Tribe is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Spokane Tribe reserves the right to hire according to its Indian Preference Policy. All applicants are subject to a pre-employment drug test.