STOI GOV: BENEFITS COORDINATOR
|Vacancy Ann. #||STOI-19-039|
|Title||STOI GOV: BENEFITS COORDINATOR|
|Supervisor||HUMAN RESOURCES DIRECTOR|
|Rate of Pay||$18.00 - $20.42/PER HOUR, DOE/DOQ|
|Opening Date||APRIL 25, 2019|
|Closing Date||MAY 9, 2019|
The Benefits Coordinator is primarily responsible for administering the Spokane Tribal Benefits programs which include Medical, Dental, and life insurance, section 125 cafeteria plans, 401K plan, Short Term Disability and Long-Term Disability, COBRA, Workman’s compensation and Unemployment. The Benefits Coordinator will also administer the policies of the Spokane Tribe, which includes hiring, drug test administration, and will provide assistance to program managers and employees as needed.
The position serves as principal advisor to approximately 450 Spokane Tribal Employees regarding all Benefits programs, and may assist other Spokane Tribal entities in complying with the benefits plan. This position functions under the direct supervision of the Human Resources Director. The incumbent assists the HR Director with planning, developing, implementing, communicating, and administering various employee benefits plans and assists with other Human Resources department duties as needed to meet operational needs.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Researches, reviews, and recommends Benefits plan options in conjunction with the HR Director, Administrative Director, CFO and Executive Director.
- Provides employees information and assistance regarding benefits.
- In the event of an employee’s death, assist beneficiary’s process claims for life insurance, pension benefits, etc.
- Communicate with contacts and respond to inquiries in a timely manner.
- Must be able to complete job assignments thoroughly, accurately, and on time. Must be able to prioritize work for maximum efficiency.
- Responsible for distribution of written and verbal information to inform employees of benefits programs, and special employer sponsored activities.
- Coordinate quarterly and annual employee meetings to inform employees and provide them an opportunity to discuss benefits concerns and answer employee questions.
- Responsible for new employee benefits orientation which includes an explanation of employee benefits and assisting with completion of necessary paperwork.
- Enrolls new employees in benefits plans.
- Process status changes for medical insurance, disability claims, life insurance, pension plan changes, leave of absences, name changes, and other payroll deductions.
- Maintains vendor contact to investigate discrepancies and provide information in non-routine situations.
- Remains current on new and changed laws, rules and regulations regarding employee benefits.
- Track, communicate, and coordinate employee benefit data.
- Maintains employee benefits files and other record keeping such as items related to processing insurance claims.
- Must not provide financial advice to employees. Financial advice is coordinated between the 401K investment firm and the employee
- Review monthly invoices in a timely manner from health providers, life insurance companies, etc., for the approval of the Human Resources Director.
- Reconciles Employer benefit costs from invoices to payroll deductions monthly.
- Responsible for reporting changes to the pension company for bi-weekly electronic 401K deposits, and reconciles bi-weekly payroll information with personnel records to ensure deductions and payments are processed accurately and within 5 days of the each pay date.
- Requires coordination with HR staff regarding new hires, scheduling orientation, layoffs, terminations, reduction in work hours, and salary changes.
- Provides assistance to the HR Director in the areas of wage and salary surveys and other research for compensation.
- Processes personnel forms as needed.
- Provides records management as needed for benefits and personnel records.
- Assists employees and visitors with inquiries as needed and other assistance to meet the day to day operational needs of the HR department including, but not limited to, copying, entering computer information, answering phones, and other clerical tasks.
- Maintains thorough knowledge of Tribal personnel policies, procedures, organization and administration.
- Provides an equitable, consistent program service delivery for all programs of the Tribe.
This position requires the utmost confidentiality in all work, cases and files pertaining to projects and activities of this position. This position will be privileged to sensitive information in the Human Resources Department. A confidentiality agreement will be required to be signed by the employee upon hire. Any breach in confidentiality may result in immediate suspension or termination of employment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES REQUIRED FOR THE POSITION:
- Must have excellent math skills (calculate percentages, balance/reconcile invoices).
- Must have strong computer skills;
- Must have knowledge of recent data base management skills; able to prepare Excel spreadsheets and able to utilize V look-up for financial analysis;
- Requires analytical, planning, business writing, and presentation abilities;
- Must be people oriented and able to function in a team-based environment. Must be able to handle stressful situations with positive solutions and outcomes.
- Must have the skill of organization and efficient time management in order to meet deadlines.
- Must have the ability to critically think.
- Must have ability to compare and contrast complex items.
- Must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Must have the excellent skill in communicating in a positive and friendly manner in written and verbal format.
- Must have ability to strive for excellent quality and internal and external customer service.
- At least a two-year degree in business or equivalent in a similar field (accounting, finance, human resources) with a minimum of two years related experience in benefits administration, accounting, finance, or human resources, OR, four years work related experience in similar field with demonstrated required skills, OR, a Bachelor’s degree in business or in a similar field (accounting, finance, human resources, etc.) preferred;
- Must be bondable.
- The individual must be dependable, self-motivated, be knowledgeable and experienced in Tribal governmental functions, be able to handle complex employee issues, and practice good and fair decision making in handling employee matters.
- Must be able to become a Certified Professional Collector within 90 days of employment commencing.
- Must have a valid Washington State Drivers’ license and must meet Tribal insurance requirements.
Applications Are Available In the Tribal Human Resources Department
P.O. Box 206, Wellpinit, WA 99040
Applications can also be downloaded from our website:
Contact: Sabrina McCoy or Andrea Flett
(509) 458-6583 or (509) 458-6527
FAX: (509) 458-6556
Applications Must Be Received In the Human Resources Department No Later Than
4:30 p.m. on the Closing Date
The Spokane Tribe Reserves the Right to Hire According To Its Indian
Applicants Are Subject To A Pre-Employment Drug Test
Positions with the Spokane Tribe Are Subject To a 90-Day Orientation Period