|Vacancy Ann. #||STOI-18-136|
|Supervisor||TRIBAL BUSINESS COUNCIL|
|Department||SPOKANE TRIBAL COURT|
|Status||CONTRACT, FULL-TIME, EXEMPT|
|Rate of Pay||DOE, DOQ|
|Opening Date||JULY 24, 2018|
|Closing Date||AUGUST 10, 2018|
The Spokane Tribe is seeking a qualified person to serve as Chief Judge of the Spokane Tribal Court located at Wellpinit, Washington on the Spokane Indian Reservation. The Spokane Tribal Court is located approximately 50 miles northwest of Spokane, Washington. The Spokane Tribe exercises jurisdiction over a broad range of civil and criminal matters, including criminal traffic, civil tort, family law, probate, consumer debt, and civil traffic cases. Judicial duties are shared with associate judge(s).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as Chief Judge for the Spokane Tribal Court. Preside over cases brought before the Tribal Court using the Revised Spokane Law and Order Code (“RSLOC”). Hear and Adjudicate the full range of judicial services, including hearing cases in the trial court concerning such issues as criminal, civil, fishing, hunting, dependency, domestic relations, gaming and employment cases. The Chief Judge is primarily responsible for handling the criminal docket.
- Assign cases to associate and pro tem judge(s) as needed.
- Supervise associate judges and the court administrator.
- Prepare and issue written orders, judgments, search and arrest warrants.
- Provide legal research and writing when necessary for the decision in a case in a timely manner.
- Develop and implement policy and procedures that compliment current court policies and when the court has to determine standards or policy make them consistent with the Tribe’s needs and Tribal Law.
- Keep accurate records of cases and court hearings and report quarterly to Tribal Council and submit an annual written report. Communicate the needs of Court to Tribal Council.
- Facilitate development of the Tribal Code and alternative dispute resolution.
- Assist the Court Administrator in setting and amending budgets, management of grants, reporting for grants, finances and setting the docket of Tribal Court.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Demonstrated knowledge in;
- Current and historical Federal Indian Law Issues
- Tribal customs and traditions,
- Code reading and writing
- Ability to apply laws rules, regulations and ordinances of the Spokane Tribe of Indians, and applicable Federal Law.
- Ability to make independent and impartial decisions after weighing all facts and arguments presented and applying all applicable sections of the RSLOC and Federal Law.
- Must be at least 25 years of age
- Must have a minimum of seven (7) years of experience as a law trained attorney with:
- At least five (5) years’ experience as a Judge, with extensive experience in:
- Criminal Prosecution, Juvenile Delinquency and Protection,
- Family Law and Support,
- Civil Adjudications, including complex litigation under the Federal Rules of Evidence,
- Probate and Guardianship,
- Federal Indian Law and Tribal Law,
- 3 years active judging for a Tribe.
- Active Bar Membership with no current or unresolved disciplinary proceedings
- Must have a valid Washington State Driver’s License and be insurable through the Tribal insurance plan.
- Must pass a criminal background check, and never have been convicted of a felony or of a misdemeanor involving dishonesty.
Interested applicants should submit a Spokane Tribe of Indians Employment Application, letter of interest including salary requirements and hours of availability, along with a current resume and the names of at least three professional references to:
Spokane Tribal Human Resources Department
P. O. Box 206
Wellpinit, WA 99040
Applications are available at the Tribal Human Resource Department or can be downloaded at www.spokanetribe.com
Contact Sabrina McCoy or Andrea Flett
P.O. Box 206 Wellpinit, WA 99040
509-458-6583 or 458-6527 Fax: 509-458-6556
E-mail: Sabrina.email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications must be received in the Human Resource Department no later than 4:30 p.m. on the closing date.
The Spokane Tribe reserves the right to hire according to its Indian Preference Policy
All Applicants are subject to a Pre-Employment Drug Test
All Positions with the Spokane Tribe of Indians are subject to a 90-day orientation period